So, I have a lot of people asking what we're doing differently this time to make sure these babies get here with a heartbeat (maybe not in those exact words, but it's implied...) The day I got a + pregnancy test, I started heparin injections. This was something that, after three losses, was one of those, "Well, it won't hurt you, it'll only help you" scenarios. Basically, if I was losing babies due to an undetectable clotting problem, the heparin would probably help.
That first week was hell. I mean really REALLY bad. It started with fevers. Then the body aches and chills. I missed a couple days of work because I couldn't get off the couch and my fevers were getting higher and higher. By the next Sunday, my fever was 103.5, so we went to the ER. My platelets had dropped 60,000, and my liver enzymes were up (probably because of the fever and tylenol use). It has a name: HIT- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. The heparin was making me sick!!! Talk about frustrating...the thing that had given me hope that I could have a normal pregnancy was out the window. It didn't take long for me to get better once I stopped taking it, and now I'm on a regiment of aspirin, a butt-load of folic acid, vitamin D, and fish oil. We have high hopes (and a lot of faith) that these babies are going to be just fine!
So the title of this post, "Can you Count?" those are the famous words spoken by Dr. Speak at my 6 week appointment. We saw on the screen the following picture:
Yes, I can count, and I knew it was twins. We had an unsettling next couple of weeks as we went between appointments with my OB here in K-ville and the perinatologist in Columbia; every time they put the probe on my belly, wondering if there was still going to be two babies.
| This picture was labled wrong in CoMo, so I tried to label over it. |
By 10 weeks they were starting to look like babies instead of blobs. Baby B usually gets the shaft because almost every time I went in before 10 weeks (s)he wasn't in a good position.
Having had just one and now two babies at a time, I can definitely say that twins is...much more difficult. Everything happens so much faster, and stretches more painfully. Somedays I just sit all day because my round ligaments hurt too bad to walk. Don't think I'm complaining, though- just comparing. And I'm THRILLED and SO HAPPY to be stretching and hurting because it means these kiddos are growing!
| 12 weeks 6days. |
| This is the perfect example of how baby B is in a bad position for a photo-op. |
| 14W 5D |
I really need to say thank you for all the support and love we've felt from friends and family; for your prayers, fasts, and words or comfort and love. Random strangers tell us that they'll pray for us, which absolutely fills my heart with love for them.
Sometimes when I pray I tell Heavenly Father that we've already buried 2 babies and we can't do a 3rd or a 4th. These babies are perfect and we haven't had any complications and hope that it stays that way. In the next few weeks, Evan will be taking his boards and we'll be packing up and moving to Chandler, AZ for 2 years so Ev can complete years 3 and 4 of med school. We're excited and I promise I'll be better at keeping up the blog with updates for the friends far away and the friends we're leaving in Kirksville (*tear).
Much Love!
Oh Whitney, James and I are so happy for you guys! We hope and pray that everything goes well!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I don't think anybody who knew your story would dare think you were being ungrateful if you "complain" about the aches and pains of pregnancy. Pregnancy can be uncomfortable (especially with twins!) and it's okay to say so!
congrats whit! i am so unbelievably happy for you guys!! i think of you often and keep up on your blog, keep the updates coming! i hope all goes well with the pregnancy, and move to arizona too! funny thing, i lived in chandler for a summer, it was a lot of years ago and i remember NOTHING except that i really liked it! i hope you do too :) best of luck to you guys!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your twins! I have to say I've never met you but I was thinking about you last week. My baby brother, who would now be 21 if he had lived is also buried in the Logan Cemetery. His name is Kent Olsen and he was lost at 27 weeks due to a cord accident. I went up there last week and his grave is maybe 30 feet from Scotlin and Kayden. It's been awhile since I've been to there and I didn't realize your little boys were buried there. That area of that cemetery is such a special place. I'll include a prayer for your sweet twins.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! Can't wait to find out if they're boys or girls! :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Whitney and Evan!!! Jesse and I have been praying for you guys ever since we found out you were pregnant. I think of you often and hope all is doing well. SO glad to hear everything is still great and on track!! Lots of love being sent your way!
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy and excited for you. I really do admire your strength, faith and testimony. We keep you and your family in our prayers. Twins will be such a fun adventure!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you Whitney! I'll be praying for you and your sweet little twins! You can do this! I know you have been guided to great doctors who can help you and your babies! Love you!
ReplyDeleteSO fun to see all of the pictures of them growing!!! Amazing! I couldn't be happier for all of you!
ReplyDelete