This last week, I went into active labor again. I was exactly 32 weeks. I got to the hospital expecting that these babies would be delivered, but instead they stopped my labor. I know our desire to have these babies here now is a bit controversial. Some friends agree with us (usually other baby-loss parents) that the doctors should just let me deliver. Other friends (usually the ones who haven't experienced loss) remind me-as if I didn't know- that the longer they're inside me, the better. On one hand, if they're born now they have the probability of complications that will keep them in the NICU longer and the potential for long-lasting effects of prematurity.
On the other hand...they would be alive. They would be breathing, even if it was with a little help. They would have heartbeats, and they would cry. I would get to see their eyes open and hold a warm baby without the help of warm blankets. I could cry tears of joy and thanks rather than tears of grief, sorrow and pain. My husband could hug me because we did an extraordinary thing bringing two lives into the world, rather that to hug be because I'm falling apart inside.
Few people outside my close friends and family have witnessed the stress and anxiety that has accompanied this pregnancy. Not just for Evan and me, but for our family as well. Every time I call my mom, she answers, "Whitney, is everything okay?" I appreciate the concern, but it makes it difficult to call anyone. My sisters are the same way, and even though others haven't mentioned it, I'm sure they have the same heart palpitations when they see my name on the caller ID. Moreover, baby boy is my little mover. He's head-down so he's constantly kicking me in the ribs. But baby girl is in an awkward, transverse (sideways), oblique (diagonal) position with her feet tucked against her chest and positioned neatly under her placenta so I don't feel her kicks very often. It's a good thing I'm at home all day with the opportunity to doppler her heartbeat anytime I go an hour without feeling her move. (Yes, I'm that paranoid).
The nurses say that as long as I have two episodes a day of at least 10 kicks in an hour then everything is fine. But it's not fine. I was told by previous doctors that whatever caused Scotlin and Kayden to die took minutes, 10 tops. They didn't die slowly, it was fast. So even if I feel kicks in the morning, I worry all day long if I'm not hearing a heartbeat or feeling them move. And when I say worry, I don't mean a little nervousness. It's heart-wrenching. It's an overwhelming fear that if I put the doppler to my belly I won't hear anything or be able to find a heartbeat. Today, for example, I hadn't felt baby girl move yet, so I had to wait until Evan called on his lunch break to doppler her so that just in case I didn't hear anything I wouldn't be alone.
We feel beyond blessed to be parents of two angels. Now we're ready to be parents of two more living angels. Beyond anything else, we appreciate the prayers and support from everyone offering them up for us. We feel strengthened and hopeful, even with the bouts of anxiety and uncertainty. Please, please keep these babies in your prayers for us, and know that we are so appreciative!
Much Love
I have been thinking of you two all week. You are such an example of strength Whitney. Such an example to me. Can't wait to see those cute babes. My prayers are with all of you. Love and miss you both.
ReplyDeleteExactly! It's not about staying pregnant, that's not the strongest issue, it's keeping those hearts beating. I can empathize with your feelings. You are walking quite a tight-rope; stay pregnant for development's sake, or get 'em out for the sake of their still-beating hearts. I'm not saying these two sweethearts will wind up being afflicted with the same fate as their brothers, but we just don't know. You're waiting for the greatest joy or a tragic blindside. No one likes to voice it, but the fear you have is very real and very vindicated.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being so open. I feel so connected to you. I love you and your family so much! I pray for you every day. It can't be easy to voice your honest opinion about the true emotions you are feeling, but by allowing me and so many supporters in, we can understand what you are feeling and we can stand with you. You are braver than I. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteOh Whitney! You and Evan and those precious babies have been in my thoughts and prayers a lot over the past weeks! I can't begin to understand what you've been through and the fears you still have, but I know the loss of a child and I don't blame you one bit for wanting those babies here with hearts beating as soon as possible. Heavenly Father is mindful of you! Can't wait to see those sweet babies! You're a great example and mother! Hugs and Love and continued prayers!
ReplyDeleteLove ya!
ReplyDeleteI have always looked up to you. Even as kids. I totally understand your wanting them here and now. The NICU is no picnic, but definitely having your babies crying and awake is huge peace of mind. Love you!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you! Reading this post is so heart-wrenching because it brings to surface my own feelings of fear and anxiety and I remember how hard it was for me; however, yours seems so much more consuming (with good reason!) Lots of prayers for the safe arrival of your babies!
ReplyDeleteYou two are amazing and we are praying for you and your babies. I pray that soon you will get to hold your babies and that they will be crying like crazy because it is the most amazing sound ever. They have the best big brothers helping them get here, no wonder they are so excited they have heard what amazing parents you and Evan are! We will continue prsying for your family.
ReplyDeletePraying for you and your family. ♥
ReplyDeleteI am a stranger to you, but came across your blog through a mutual friend shortly after you lost Kayden. My husband and I also went through a lot of heartache before we were blessed with our daughter. Since seeing this post, I have been so anxious for you. Tonight I couldn't take it any more, so went stalker and found your FB profile. And there was a photo of you with two precious, beautiful babies and the biggest smile I have ever seen. So happy for you! Best wishes for a lifetime of love and happiness. -Rachelle
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness I read that comment and went to go look for myself! I'm so happy for you guys!! I would check your blog daily hoping everything was ok. Yeah God is good!!!
ReplyDeleteI read these comments and just had to take a look at the facebook photos. Had a not so good day, but you made it wonderful! Came across your story through another blog, prayed so much for all of you and held you in my thoughts, even though I don't know you.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, from the bottom of my heart!
Katie