Aug 30, 2015

My Favorite Lullaby

I sing to my children. All day, every day. We sing funny songs, silly songs, loud songs, and songs about Jesus.  I also sing them the same song every night at bedtime (and sometimes at nap time). It's a song my mom sang my whole life and I've never forgotten:


The Lord will see you walking and He will hear you talking

Talking to your* angels in the sky 

And when you'll know he's near you the Lord will always hear 

you 

Talking to your* angels in the sky. 

Talk to the angels let them hear your plea 

Tell them that you're lonely 

Get down upon your knees 

And pray the Lord will bless you. 

*The song says "the" but we sing "your"

It's a short song with a beautiful melody. When I sing it, I hear my mother's beautiful soprano voice, not my tired one. I sang this song to Scotlin and Kayden when I held them in my hospital beds. {I actually whispered it between sobs}, but in those quiet moments I hoped that eventually I would have children here on earth to sing it to and that the angels in the song would be the brothers that sent them to our family from Heaven. 

With the back-to-school buzz all around me (schools here haven't started yet), I can't help but think about my tiny 6 lb Scotlin who should be starting Kindergarten this year. All those years ago, I though about the milestones that I would miss and the potential heartache that would ensue. Luckily, I was expecting it, but it's different than I thought it would be. I thought I would be angry that I was robbed of these life-events with my angel boys; but, I don't feel any anger. I just feel sad. I feel sad that I don't get to buy his school supplies or pack his lunch or drop him off at school where he is glad to be rid of me but I bawl like a baby when he turns away. 

However, I take solace in my MiraColes. They are not consolation prizes. They are heavenly blessings that I can't imagine life without. I have very real and tangible reasons to teach them about the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation. Mira and Cole will always know who their celestial cheerleaders are!








12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing what can happen in five years time. The plan is real!

    ReplyDelete